“Many communities in the senior living industry use the term, ‘person-centered,’” says Michael Rambarose, President and CEO of Whitney Center, a Life Care community located in Hamden, CT, “but few take the time to describe how that relates to their philosophy of providing services and care. As ‘person-centered’ becomes a more and more popular descriptor for senior living, we believe seniors should know exactly what it means at Whitney Center.”
Whitney Center is a prestigious Life Care community that seeks to deliver excellence in senior living. Excellence, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder. So, Whitney Center looks to their residents – not national averages or Internet resources – to define what excellence means to them.
“Our person-centered approach at Whitney Center truly puts the individual in the center of all we do,” says Rambarose. “Every offering starts with our residents’ needs and desires for quality living and builds from there. We don’t just take personal interests and requests into consideration. We design a personalized wellness plan and lifestyle around each unique individual that meets their requirements for excellence in whatever way they define it.”
Our Wellness Philosophy Starts with You
Quality of life can be broken down into various dimensions of well-being. We know that wellness means something different to everyone, and a single person has various wellness expectations and goals. Being well goes beyond just physical health. Our well-being involves everything that affects our inner and outer lives.
At Whitney Center, we consider seven interconnected dimensions of wellness that help seniors live life to the fullest:
- Occupational – All of us can achieve personal satisfaction and enrichment in our life through meaningful work. Even after you retire, your life’s work can continue through pursuits and involvement that encourage you to keep growing and developing in your chosen field.
- Physical – Wellness comes from meeting the need for regular physical activity. Physical development encourages learning about diet and nutrition. Optimal health is met through the combination of good exercise and eating habits.
- Social – Social well-being involves contributing to your environment and your community. It emphasizes the interdependence between others and the world around you.
- Intellectual – When we engage in creative and stimulating mental activities, we nurture an important aspect of our well-being. Intellectual wellness is all about expanding your knowledge and skills while discovering the potential for sharing your gifts with others.
- Spiritual – Religious or not, spiritual wellness is about enabling the search for meaning and purpose in human existence. It includes the development of a deep appreciation for the depth and expanse of life and natural forces that exist in the universe.
- Emotional – Emotional well-being includes the degree to which you feel positive and enthusiastic about yourself and your life. It begins and ends with recognizing and accepting your feelings.
- Vocational – Vocational wellness adds value to our lives through meaningful activities, learning new skills and developing new interests.
At Whitney Center, we help seniors achieve these seven dimensions of wellness by offering a wide variety of services and amenities that help them reach their goals. We also emphasize preventive care through health monitoring and fitness programs. We hire and contract with professionals who are well-versed in contemporary health and fitness science to guide each component of wellness.
We Make It Personal
The seven dimensions of our wellness philosophy help us create meaningful plans for each resident who calls Whitney Center home. By understanding how each person finds meaning and experiences various dimensions of well-being, we have the tools necessary to design opportunities that fit their personal needs and desires. Our community offers a comprehensive range of services that contribute to senior health and wellness, but the path to well-being is drawn by the resident with support from us at every turn.
It’s time to discover how person-centered senior living can take on a whole new meaning for you. Reach out to Whitney Center today to learn more about our wellness philosophy and how we help seniors enjoy excellence every day.
Discover Excellence in Senior Living.
At Whitney Center, you’ll find a distinguished senior living community where residents do what they love. Located in Hamden, Connecticut, Whitney Center combines all the cultural, educational and historical charms of the Greater New Haven area with the intricate details of daily life for active seniors. Whitney Center is a Life Care community, offering not just an unparalleled independent living lifestyle, but a full continuum of care services as well, including assisted living, rehabilitation, skilled nursing care and memory care. Whitney Center even offers a home-based long-term care program, Thrive at Home, which connects seniors to the services they need to live well in their own home.
Choice. Freedom. Opportunity.
We believe that remaining engaged and striving for excellence builds a more meaningful life. That’s why residents experience a host of services and amenities, events and cultural opportunities and wellness programs designed to foster endless growth and personalized living. Backed by our first-rate hospitality and philosophy of continuous improvement, our residents are free to travel, learn, volunteer, set new goals and create the life they want to live.
Come Here to Thrive.
At Whitney Center, residents live in the midst of cultural arts and education and dignified connections to the greater community. Seniors thrive in pursuit of what brings them joy, with unlimited opportunities to create and contribute. And, with the confidence in quality care services available on site if health needs ever change, Whitney Center makes it possible for seniors to continue enjoying the freedom to embrace life at its fullest.