We all have an ideal lifestyle that we aspire to, and for many of us, retirement is the time we get to realize our lifestyle goals. Whether we imagine ourselves pursuing new horizons or simply enjoying the relaxing and entertaining pastimes we’ve always loved, we all have an idea of what it means to live well.
“Exceptional, satisfying living is often an artform,” says Michael Rambarose, President and CEO of Whitney Center, a Life Care Community in Hamden, CT. “For retirees, it may take some time to learn exactly how they want to live in this unique chapter of their lives. A fulfilling retirement lifestyle often comes with false starts and trial-and-error, but eventually you can discover what drains your energy and what makes you feel alive.”
Whatever you believe your ideal retirement to include, the team at Whitney Center have a few ideas to help seniors, as well as those nearing retirement, find the perfect combination of rest, relaxation and rejuvenation during their retirement years.
The Elements of Living Well
At Whitney Center, we believe that living well begins with looking inside yourself. You are a unique individual, so it makes sense that your retirement is unique as well. Try not to compare your situation to others. Living well does not have to mean retiring with overflowing assets or moving to an exotic destination. You get to define what it means in your life.
That being said, we’ve discovered some universal elements that everyone needs in order to live well. Consider how you can incorporate the following into your own lifestyle:
- Rest – Especially for new retirees, rest is a vital element to living well. You’ve worked hard your whole life – now it’s time to take a deep breath before you dive into your retirement. Take some time to rest your mind and spirit, so you’ll have the renewed energy to create the kind of daily routines and activities that will make you feel fulfilled.
- Relaxation – As you think about what your well-lived lifestyle looks like, be sure to include elements that add frequent relaxation to your days. Like we mentioned before, you’ve already accomplished so much. Retirement is the time to enjoy the simple pleasures in life – an hour each morning with a good book, a walk after dinner, a trip to the spa, a long lunch with a close friend. Incorporate activities that let you relax often and recharge. This adds greater balance to your life, especially if you’re the kind of person who likes to keep busy.
- Fun – Having fun might just be the most underrated part of retirement. We’re sure you’ve heard seniors talk about the free time and relaxation that comes with retirement, but how many make it a priority to have fun? Search for ways to raise your spirits, express yourself, and even walk on the wild side of life. Whether it’s an activity you do alone or with friends, plan lots of space into your lifestyle to fill with fun times.
- Connections – Many times, the changes that come with retirement can leave us more socially secluded than we used to be. Living well rarely occurs in solitude; you need people with whom to share your life. This doesn’t mean you have to have a huge circle of friends or be booked each weekend with social events, but it does mean that we all need connections with others to live well. Whether you choose to visit your family, join a club or volunteer in your community, or meet up regularly with your best friend, be sure to make social connections a priority.
- Purpose – A crucial element to living well during retirement is having a sense of purpose. However you find it, purpose can elevate every other part of your life to fill it with meaning and contentment. Whether you find purpose in volunteering, spending time with the grandkids, pursuing a hobby or simply giving a genuine smile to everyone you meet, be sure that your retirement lifestyle enables you to find fulfillment.
Living Well at Whitney Center
Many seniors discover a lifestyle of living well when they move to a senior living community. At Whitney Center, we like to think that we’ve mastered the art of living well by providing an exceptional place for seniors to call home.
From world-class amenities to vibrant opportunities for connections and passions, Whitney Center creates space for seniors to pursue the lifestyle they desire. Rather than limit what residents can do when they move here, we’ve made our community a gateway to the possibilities for a life well lived. Each resident gets to decide what that looks like for them, and we provide the resources to help them get there.
Plus, as a Life Care Community, residents have the promise of future care services if they’re ever in need of support. With us, they can dive confidently into their ultimate retirement lifestyle knowing that they have a trusted partner in their retirement dreams.
Learn more about Whitney Center and how you can master the art of living well. Call our team today to get started!
Discover Excellence in Senior Living.
At Whitney Center, you’ll find a distinguished senior living community where residents do what they love. Located in Hamden, Connecticut, Whitney Center combines all the cultural, educational and historical charms of the Greater New Haven area with the intricate details of daily life for active seniors. Whitney Center is a Life Care Community, offering not just an unparalleled Independent Living lifestyle, but a full continuum of care services as well, including Assisted Living, Rehabilitation, Skilled Nursing Care and Memory Care. Whitney Center even offers a home-based long-term care program, Thrive at Home, which connects seniors to the services they need to live well in their own home.
Choice. Freedom. Opportunity.
We believe that remaining engaged and striving for excellence builds a more meaningful life. That’s why residents experience a host of services and amenities, events and cultural opportunities and wellness programs designed to foster endless growth and personalized living. Backed by our first-rate hospitality and philosophy of continuous improvement, our residents are free to travel, learn, volunteer, set new goals and create the life they want to live.
Come Here to Thrive.
At Whitney Center, residents live in the midst of cultural arts and education and dignified connections to the greater community. Seniors thrive in pursuit of what brings them joy, with unlimited opportunities to create and contribute. And, with the confidence in quality care services available on site if health needs ever change, Whitney Center makes it possible for seniors to continue enjoying the freedom to embrace life at its fullest.