When searching for the right senior living community, many seniors and families concentrate on what the community has to offer. They consider the care services, apartment homes, available maintenance, amenities, life-enrichment activities and the general atmosphere. Evaluating what’s inside the community is important, but it’s also wise to think about what’s available beyond the community walls.
“Part of what makes Whitney Center so unique is its fabulous location in the Greater New Haven area,” says Michael Rambarose, President and CEO of Whitney Center, a Life Care Community in Hamden, CT. “Our residents lead active roles throughout the greater community by volunteering or participating in local organizations. Although Whitney Center itself has much to offer, these connections to the surrounding area help to keep our residents involved and add meaningful facets to senior life.”
Location. Location. Location.
When it comes to starting a business, location can make or break its success. The same can be said about where we choose to retire. If the location of your chosen community isolates you from the things you love to do, how can you expect to lead a fulfilling lifestyle?
Of course, each person has different priorities when it comes to their retirement. Whatever yours are, make sure you consider how the location of a senior living community complements the people, activities and priorities that matter most. Here are just a few examples to consider:
- Proximity to Hospitals – For most seniors, health is a major priority. Even if you’re in excellent health when you move to a community, you never know what might happen several years down the road. That’s why it’s important to pay attention to the local health scene when deciding on a community. At Whitney Center, residents have confidence in their access to top-tier medical facilities and specialists. Our Hamden location is close to medical centers such as the Yale-New Haven Hospital and the General Practitioners of Hamden. New Haven is also home to excellent cardiologists, oncologists and other specialists.
- Local Entertainment & Necessities – Wherever you go, it’s nice to know that whatever you need or want to do for fun is within reach. Consider the availability of important resources such as banks, places of worship or public transportation. Also think about the options you’ll have for entertainment. Is the community close to local shops and restaurants? How about movie theaters or parks? Can you walk to these places or will you need transportation? Whitney Center enjoys a prime location amid some of New Haven’s greatest sources of entertainment, including museums, live theatre, educational opportunities and more.
- Easy for Family to Visit – Some seniors want to retire close to their children and grandchildren. Others hope to find a location that’s different from where they spent the rest of their lives. Whatever your views, you’ll want to consider how easy it will be for family to visit your community. Consider if there are decent hotels in the area, as well as fun activities you can do as a family. Whitney Center welcomes family members to participate in programs on and off campus and join residents for meals. Our location also makes it easy for loved ones to find lodging nearby and choose from an array of family-friendly activities throughout the area.
- Cultural Opportunities – Retirement is the time to fill your life with what you love most. Whether that’s art, music, sports, education, humanitarian work or something else entirely, you want your home for your retirement years to give you easy access to the things you want to take part in. At Whitney Center, we’re proud to offer excellent cultural opportunities on campus – such as our art gallery and lecture hall – but we’re also connected to many cultural organizations off campus.
- Nearby Excursions – If traveling is on your retirement to-do list, consider how well your community’s location is suited for frequent adventures. How far away is your community from major cities or airports? Or, if you’re close to urban centers, state or national parks or other landmarks, how easy would it be to explore those places? It’s great to have a gorgeous home base for your retirement lifestyle, but sprinkling in an adventure every now and then can enhance your quality of life. Whitney Center, for example, is close to Hartford and only a few hours away from major cities like Boston and New York.
Picture Yourself Here
Choosing a senior living community is a big decision, and lots of factors come into play as you make your choice. Be sure to consider the community’s location, either before you make your final decision or as a starting point to help find communities in a place you know and love.
If you’re curious about the New Haven area and what it’s like to retire here, we invite you to visit Whitney Center or call and speak to our team members. Find out why so many seniors have made Whitney Center their home for their retirement years and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else!
Discover Excellence in Senior Living.
At Whitney Center, you’ll find a distinguished senior living community where residents do what they love. Located in Hamden, Connecticut, Whitney Center combines all the cultural, educational and historical charms of the Greater New Haven area with the intricate details of daily life for active seniors. Whitney Center is a Life Care community, offering not just an unparalleled independent living lifestyle, but a full continuum of care services as well, including assisted living, rehabilitation, skilled nursing care and memory care. Whitney Center even offers a home-based long-term care program, Thrive at Home, which connects seniors to the services they need to live well in their own home.
Choice. Freedom. Opportunity.
We believe that remaining engaged and striving for excellence builds a more meaningful life. That’s why residents experience a host of services and amenities, events and cultural opportunities and wellness programs designed to foster endless growth and personalized living. Backed by our first-rate hospitality and philosophy of continuous improvement, our residents are free to travel, learn, volunteer, set new goals and create the life they want to live.
Come Here to Thrive.
At Whitney Center, residents live in the midst of cultural arts and education and dignified connections to the greater community. Seniors thrive in pursuit of what brings them joy, with unlimited opportunities to create and contribute. And, with the confidence in quality care services available on site if health needs ever change, Whitney Center makes it possible for seniors to continue enjoying the freedom to embrace life at its fullest.